Tokyo Jihen - OSCA (single)

July 07, 2007

I don't normally post about a single song, but this is a special circumstance. I already posted the video on my videoblogthing (Represpect), so if you read that you've probably heard/seen this song already....

Enough build up. The band is Tokyo Jihen, and it is basically a vessel for the singer, Shiina Ringo. This song is an energetic, garage rock-influenced romp. A few feelings that pop in my head while listening: ska, 5.6.7.8's, surf, garage, awesome, yeah yeah yeahs. But really, it is quite something else. The singer's cute growl is amazing and is certainly what makes the song. I'm fairly positive that this is how the character Gogo Yubari from Kill Bill would sound if she started a singing career. You know, the Japanese school girl with a ball-and-chain weapon?

Unfortunately, this song is not yet from an album. Apparently a single exists with the song, but its too new and obscure for me to find anywhere, practically. So, until someone is kind enough to hook me up with an MP3 of it, the only place I know to hear the song is this YouTube link.

2 comments: to “ Tokyo Jihen - OSCA (single)

  • Anonymous
    July 8, 2007 at 12:56 AM  

    Here is the mp3 for Tokyo Jihen's song, OSCA:

    http://rapidshare.com/files/41663738/Tokyo_Jihen_-_OSCA_-_01_-_OSCA.mp3.html

    Enjoy!

  • joem
    July 8, 2007 at 4:15 AM  

    Much thanks! My day is now officially made.

    However, this makes me think even more about current problems with the record industry. Everyone is talking about how they've dropped the ball when it comes to digital distribution. This is a perfect example: import CDs. Imports should have been opened up to the world with the advent of digital distribution. However, iTunes, the foremost digital distributor as far as I know, does not allow us Americans to peruse the Japanese iTunes store. Bah! Insanity, and from one of the places that is getting it mostly right...

    But now, with this song in my hands, so to speak, I will hopefully convert all of NYC to Tokyo Jihen fans, one bar at a time.....

    (Oh wait, I only go to one bar. Damn. Anyway...)

/* Google Analytics ----------------------------------------------- */