Does anyone listen to anything other than WFMU?

March 15, 2009

...as far as internet radio goes, I mean. Sure, maybe you listen to Washington Heights Free Radio, but (obviously*) I already do too. So, when WHFR isn't on, I typically listen to WFMU. Sometimes, though, I need something else. So, then I listen to KFJC (which I know only due to the WFMU/KFJC April Fool's prank where they switched websites and streams), dublab, or SomaFM: cliqhop idm. When none of those will quite cut it, I'll check out BassDrive, another SomaFM channel (Space Station Soma or Drone Zone in particular), some DI.fm channel (d'n'b, breakbeats or minimal house, please), or SKY.fm Roots Reggae.


But I need more. I have various other sites bookmarked, but none of them are consistently good. Hell, some of them aren't even consistently on air from day to day. And there are too many strictly themed stations that have no real DJs. I'd love for more consistently good freeform radio stations with live DJs, like WFMU or KFJC. So, any ideas? Maybe a kick-ass local-to-you college station?

* My resumé (modestly?) lists me as the Technical Director of WHFR. (Shameless plug time!) If you don't already listen to my show, you should. It's on WHFR at 3pm each Wednesday, or you can download the archives from the website.

3 comments: to “ Does anyone listen to anything other than WFMU?

  • Dan Gr
    March 16, 2009 at 11:33 AM  

    I used to listen to WMBR, when Mark Robinson had a show on it. He might still have a show on it. At work I always listen to WNYC. I rarely listen to WFMU. What's the good programming to listen to?

  • joem
    March 16, 2009 at 7:32 PM  

    Ah, WNYC! I used to listen to that, but I guess I accidentally deleted the preset.

    I tend to like pretty much everything on WFMU except Tom Scharpling (sorry Ryan and Amanda), depending on my mood. But my favorite thing is Billy Jam's show Put The Needle On The Record, 3-6pm EST on Fridays. Typically, it's hip hop. But no 50 Cent... and Billy has loads of fun with experimental production and guests and whatever he pleases.

    I have a feeling I would really like some of the Wednesday shows (like DJ/Rupture), but that's WHFR day, so I always miss them.

  • joem
    March 16, 2009 at 7:43 PM  

    Dan, also, thanks for the WMBR! I used to listen to that when I lived in the Boston area (high school) but had long forgotten about it. Also, it reminded me of other Boston-area stations I liked. WERS (Emerson) had (and still has) a sometimes awesome reggae show weekday evenings, followed by a sometimes awesome hiphop show. And WGBH has Eric In The Evening's rich baritone hosting straight up jazz.

/* Google Analytics ----------------------------------------------- */