Open letter to Hulu's content providers

February 19, 2009

[I don't care if this is a hot topic on the internet right now. I need to get this out there. I've already sent this to the four content providers listed in Hulu's About page (NBC, MGM, Sony, WB), and this is my (very poor) attempt to spread this to Hulu's other content providers. I'm lazy.]


Content provider for Hulu:

I recently read about how you asked Hulu to stop letting Boxee play Hulu content, and I'm very displeased. I can only guess at the reasons because you have not actually provided any. Maybe you were thinking that you licensed this stuff to be played on computers only. Maybe you think you're losing control of your content. Maybe you think that because you didn't expect this to happen, it must be wrong. I don't know. You haven't said. But what you HAVE said, to me and to everyone else that was WILLINGLY WATCHING YOUR CONTENT AND YOUR ADS, is that we're not important and you don't like us. I'm hurt. I'm disappointed.

And most importantly, I urge you to reconsider, and to embrace the future. You can and will fail if you refuse to embrace changing technology. Hulu is hands down THE BEST way to watch TV these days. You have a good thing going there! Don't ruin it by (to our eyes) crazy restrictions that insult your viewers! Please!

--j.m.

2 comments: to “ Open letter to Hulu's content providers

/* Google Analytics ----------------------------------------------- */