Childhood memory or a dream?

February 25, 2009

I was just listening to the Stan Freberg cover of Sh-Boom (found in a Sh-Boom mega post - 37 versions!), and towards the end, the main guy (Stan?) is yelling "Stellaaaaaaaaaaaa!" Now, I recognize this reference (Streetcar Named Desire, right?) through second- and third-hand knowledge only, but it brings back a very fond memory. I remember being at the beach with my family for a couple weeks, and I was hanging out with this girl whose name I've forgotten. We did a whole lot of floating around in inner tubes, and every now and then the current would start to drag one of us off a bit. We'd jokingly start yelling "Stellaaaaaaa!" Looking back on this, I realize that her and I were getting along swimmingly (pun TOTALLY intended) and spending loads of time together for those two weeks. And we had loads of fun.


But who was she? As a kid at that age (12? 13?), I pretty much only hung out with guys, I think. Girls were either uninteresting, or they were a source of great nervousness if they were cute. Also, at the beach, I pretty much only hung out with this one dude, Jon. We were both socially awkward and dorky. So, this is why I question the accuracy of this memory... Why was I hanging out with a girl? Where was Jon? How would I have even met this girl?

Finally, there's the fact that the song that brought back this "memory" is Sh-Boom (Life Could Be A Dream).

/* Google Analytics ----------------------------------------------- */