quick question: kindle

January 27, 2009


Has anyone seen someone using a Kindle (or any other e-book thing) out and about in public? Like on a subway or a bus or park bench? I would like to consider one, but, like the iPod ahead of it, I refuse to get something like this until I know I can take it out on the subway and not be a crazy oddity (or a mugging target, even though I imagine this would appeal to thieves less than an iPod).



Background to my inquiry:
As much as I love little paperback books that fit in my back pocket, I've finally accepted that reading has become a computer-based interactive process for me, due to so much computer time in my life. I need bookmarking, copy'n'pasting, and cross-referencing when I read. Yes, these are still possible with normal paperback books, but not in the same way. I am not saying that e-books are the future, but I think I need to admit that they will be my future.

6 comments: to “ quick question: kindle

  • craftj2
    January 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

    Can't you get an app for the iPhone that basically does what the Kindle does? That way you could read an eBook, which is cool, on an iPhone, which is cool, without using a Kindle, which is 6 different kinds of lame.

  • joem
    January 27, 2009 at 5:19 PM  

    Indeed I could, and I am considering that. Here are the biggest problems with that plan so far:

    1. The Kindle was totally designed for reading. The screen is much better for reading than an iphone's. The battery life is much much better than an iphone's.

    2. I (surprisingly) don't have an iphone. One day.... but not yet.

  • Dan Gr
    January 30, 2009 at 7:43 AM  

    I have seen a kindle in action. And I looked over the dude's shoulder to see how it looked, and I was impressed. As for reading off an iphone... that's just stupid. You'll wreck your eyes, and I imagine it's just painfully annoying. A kindle doesn't have a screen, it's digital paper.

    However, I'd still go with books. I mostly buy my books used. Plus I don't think the kindle will fit in your pocket, unless you're sporting JNCOs. Also, what sort of catalog of books can you access?

  • Dan Gr
    January 30, 2009 at 7:48 AM  

    Also... The Kindle didn't look flashy at all. It looked pretty much like an oversized bland palmpilot. So I think you don't need to worry about it attracting attention (especially since the screen is not illuminated). Plus you could probably carve out a spot for it in a large book, and then it would just look like you are reading a book.

  • joem
    January 30, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

    Dan, you've definitely hit on one of my biggest problems with the Kindle: the size. My ideal size for a book (at least one that I bring on the subway) is the little paperback size (I don't know the name). The Kindle is not this size, though. I guess I'll wait on an e-book that is.

    And re: used books. I'm going to an awesome 4 or 5 books for a dollar sale this weekend.

/* Google Analytics ----------------------------------------------- */