Scout Niblett - The Calcination of Scout Niblett

February 19, 2010


(It's been a while since I straight up did one of these...)


I should preface this with the fact that I was already a Scout Niblett fan before hearing this album. I had to get that out of the way so that I don't spend this entire post just talking about why you should listen to her stuff in general. So now I can focus specifically on this album. First, some comparisons... This sort of makes me feel the way that a lot of the older, sparser Cat Power stuff does... or some of the mellower PJ Harvey stuff.

(FUCK. I shouldn't have read that review beforehand that mentioned Cat Power and PJ Harvey, because now those are the only comparisons I can think of. FUCK.)

Since it's pretty evident that I'm not in my most descriptive mood right now, I'll say that this album has some SICK guitar on it. The opening song starts off with a riff that could have been by Earth (before they went doom-country or whatever it is they do now... which I love, btw). Some of the other tracks, too, have some awesome heavy guitar riffs. And the thing is that they work so perfectly with her melancholy songs. SHIT, DUDE... so perfect.

I think that, right now, my dream girl is one who loves this album as much as I do. Or maybe Ms. Niblett herself. She probably likes her own album, right? So, Emma, where you at? If you're at all into dudes who can't even write a decent album review of your album, you should get in touch.....

/* Google Analytics ----------------------------------------------- */